In 2 weeks time, Yuan2 will be 6 month old! Lately, she will look at us curiously and mimick our mouth movement like chewing food -- and she drools loads! Time to start her on solid food -- I am very excited to make baby food for her and busy collecting recipes from internet.
BB food making tools
1) Food Blender
My friend San2 recommended us to get an easy-to-clean food blender, Magic Bullet, to make baby food. We finally got it @ Raffles City's Robinson -- used $100 voucher and paid cash $29 :)

2) Food storage
I bought Baby Cubes from bulk purchase with SMH May09 mummies. This is for easy storage of the blended food in small portion.
3) Bowl & Spoon
KKH gave us a 5-piece set when we signed up for the prenatal class -- consists of bowl, plate, cup, spoon & fork. I also bought a Pigeon bowl & spoon set -- comes with a part for mashing soft food.

BB food preparation
Last weekend, I finally had time to make rice cereal for Yuan2. I mixed half cup of cooked rice with EBM 20ml and blended it. Viola, 10sec later, a nice creamy rice cereal was done! I portioned 2 tablespoons of rice cereal into each Baby Cubes (made 4 portions) and stored in the freezer. To serve, defrost 1 Baby Cube and mix in warm EBM 20ml.

Note : For cooked rice, do not leave it for more than 1 hours as bacteria will grow on them. I had to throw away my first try as I leaved it to cool for too long. This time, I blended it right away and store in freezer immediately.
BB's first try on rice cereal
We put Yuan2 on the baby chair and put on a cute moo-moo-cow bib -- haha, she was fascinated with the bib around her neck and tried pulling & put in her mouth :) TK was on standby to video Yuan2's first spoonful of rice cereal. When Yuan2 tasted the rice cereal, she tried to lick n swallow but the cereal dripped out together with her saliva *faint* I had to use the spoon to scoop and put it back in her mouth. Her interest in this new food only lasted for 3min and she started to wriggle on the baby chair! Haha, think she was getting impatient with the slow progress -- normally, she finished 200ml of milk in 5mins. No choice, I poured the rice cereal in a bottle and added EBM 40ml -- she happily drank it. Oh, I had to punch a bigger hole on the teat -- she got frustrated when the rice grain got stuck at the teat initally. She cried for more and I top up with FM 120ml.

Yuan2 eagerly took her 1st spoon of rice cereal

Feeding through bottle when Yuan2 got impatient
BB's bowel after starting solids
I was worried that she would be constipated after starting solids like some babies. We were out the whole day and she didn't poo. Luckily, she poo-ed big time after her 1st feed the next morning -- still watery mustard yellow. Yeah, that means she digested the rice cereal well :)
Now, I am gonna make more baby food using fruits & vegetables.
2 comments:
I thought can buy bottle teat with larger hole size. No need to self-punch hole. (:
kc, the larger hole size is still too small... anyway, yuan2 wanna it fast -- so TK poured into her mouth (like cup feed) and she happily gobbled down :)
Post a Comment