Friday, June 05, 2009

Home Alone with BB

This is a challenging week -- glad that I survived so far! It is daunting to be home alone with a crying baby and have to juggle cooking and housework. Maybe Yuan2 is used to have my mum ard -- both of us spend this week getting used to each other's "company". Everyday, there's lots to learn how to understand and communicate with our little precious!
Here's how my day looks like :-
6am - latch on bb for early morning feed, while bb zz, will grab a quick breakfast
7am - bath bb (getting better)
8am-6pm - latch on bb, do laundry & housework, cook n eat quick lunch, pacify bb with lotsa of walking n rocking
6pm - give bb a dry bath, wipe face and change clothes
7pm - dinner and bring bb for after dinner walk
8pm - my shower time while TK bottle feed bb with EBM
9-10pm - TK's playtime with bb while I nap
10pm - 11pm - TK bottle feed bb with FM while I express milk
11pm - midnite - zzz time
4am - latch on bb

Darlg TK is very supportive -- rush home from work to cook dinner and take over baby care. Though both of us are tired, it is still a joy to see our little princess growing with each passing day :)

Breastfeeding
Initially, Yuan2 was crying for milk every hour -- I was stressed, tired and sad that my milk supply was unable to meet her demand. Expecially disheartening to see her wake up crying for milk :( We re-introduced bottle feeding to let me take a rest and get my sanity back. After dinner, I would stop latch on and TK would bottle feed with EBM or FM. The last feed at 10pm, we will give her 90ml of FM and that can last her 4-5 hours. I would express at 10pm and store in fridge for next day's use.

Baby crying
First 2 days, I was stressed out as Yuan2 was crying all the time -- when I put my finger close to her mouth, she will open wide to signal that she wants milk. FAINT, milk at every hour? Read in the books that I should delay her feeding if too close (kinda like training her endurance) and distract her with sing song, toys etc. So I will check her diaper, feel her temperature (not too hot/cold), rock and sing to her -- 50% success rate to get her to stop crying and doze off :)

First Visit to PD
We brought Yuan2 to a PD near our home for her 2nd dose of Hep B jab. Doc did a development assessment for her -- everything is in place :) Her weight has increased to 3.5kg and she has grown taller at 54.5cm (haha, must be all the kicking n stretching over the past month). Doc commented that she has BM jaundice but will go away in 1-2 weeks time -- nothing to worry as she pee n poo many times a day. Doc warned that the jab will be painful but our brave little girl only cried during injection and doze off the next moment. Amazingly, she slept through the whole journey -- not woken up by the noisy kids playing in the clinic!
Here's pics of the week :-

Yuan2 dressed up to go to my parents' place to celebrate her full month

Yuan2 sleeping soundly in the car seat -- think she enjoys the car motion!

Yuan2 in her stroller -- sleeping again!


Yuan2 sleeping on her tummy with pointy bum - with our close supervision


TK training Yuan2 -- rolling on the bolster :P

Dressed up Yuan2 in body suits


After dinner walk with Yuan2 -- she sleeps all the way *wacko*

Yuan2 dun like the rocking chair -- TK laughed amusingly!

2 comments:

kcslchin said...

Just returned to Spore.

Hey D, both you & TK are both doing fabulously as 1st time parents. Seeing the photos and reading your posts makes me think back of the old days :))

It can be really tiring (I saw what my wife went thru, esp experssing @ work and b4 work and b4 sleep) everyday + direct in evenings. 1st baby (bf + formula) but 2nd baby was bf only, both ard 11 mths of bf. Hang in there. Eat and rest well whenever you can. You're doing excellently well.

TK, you're fantastic. I never had to cook!

doraemon_red said...

kcslchin, thanks for ur encouragement :)